Re: ****Re: openldap + kmail

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 12:00 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > The whole point is that an LDAP client is an LDAP client and it makes no
> > difference whether you use Kaddressbook, evolution or the ldapsearch
> > command line interface to access your LDAP server.
>
> My main complaint about KAddressBook + LDAP is that the LDIF file
> created by KAddressBook from an existing address book
> is completely unusable as is.
> Most of the attributes it uses are not defined
> in the objectClass (organizationalPerson) it specifies,
> and I doubt if there is any LDAP server
> that will accept the DN values it produces.
>
> It really is unforgivably bad.
> For example, if you have an address with more than 1 line,
> the first line is given as the value of "homepostaladdress"
> while the second line is taken as "mozillahomepostaladdress2"
> and the third line as "mozillahomecountryname".
>
> As there is a complete lack of documentation on this point,
> it is natural to assume that KAddressBook requires an LDAP directory
> along the lines of the one it produces.
> In fact, as you suggest, it seems to accept any reasonable LDAP directory.
----
sure and if you export an address book from thunderbird in ldif mode,
you will get something similar.

If you want to use a mozilla schema, you can add that to LDAP in fact
yo-linux (and it's been a long time since I looked) had a fairly hefty
section on making Thunderbird/Outlook users live in relative harmony and
it suggested a Mozilla schema. You can also get a Mozilla schema from
Mozilla.org...it will probably be labeled as alpha or beta as they never
seem to declare their LDAP schema as stable.

I understand your expectation is that Kaddressbook or Thunderbird should
export an ldif that you can import into LDAP but it doesn't work like
that. If however you were to implement a Mozilla schema, you might be
able to import it.

Myself, I have little interest in a Mozilla schema.

Craig