Re: [Fedora] Re: Remote Desktop on FC8

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
Mark Haney wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the machine has a desktop running, doesn't it also have X?
If you want to say that WindowsXP has "X" running on them, sure. And running X over SSH does not get me the native desktop, which is what I need.

Forgive me if I've come to the party late, but if you want to work with
your Windows desktop remotely from a Linux machine, the Linux machine
must be running an X server (and if you're running in GUI mode, you
do).  Once that's established, there's two primary protocols you can
use:

Windows has RDP (aka "remote desktop") generally installed.  It must be
enabled in the "Services" section of the control panel on the Windows
side and you need to have the remote desktop client installed on Linux
("yum -y install rdesktop").

A second choice is VNC.  You need to install a VNC server on the Windows
box (TightVNC is available for free) and you have to have the VNC client
installed on Linux ("yum -y install vnc").  Note that VNC can be
tunneled over SSH if you wish.  I use it like that.

A third option is FreeNX.  I've toyed with it and many claim it is
superior to both RDP and VNC as far as speed is concerned.  I can't
speak to that, but it is an option.

If you're trying to work the other way around (using Windows to play
with a remote Linux machine) and you want the native Linux desktop, you
either must use an X server on Windows (not free) or use VNC, but
placing the server on the Linux box ("yum -y install vnc-server").  I
don't know of an RDP server for Linux.  I believe there is a free FreeNX
client for Windows, so that's an option as well.