Re: xfs_repair @ boot

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 23:01 +1000, Dan wrote:
> Hello,
Hello, Dan. Thank you for your input!

> As you have noted, xfs tends to repair itself at mount time by
> replaying
> the journal.
Well we would have to diff the "replaying the journal" and "repairing
inconsistency" concepts...

> xfs_check is a tool for fixing more serious low-level issues with
> xfs.
> xfs_check is not fsck.
yes, I realized when I cat /sbin/fsck.xfs ... ;=s

> Why do you think you need to run xfs_repair ?
When the power goes off or my PC freezes (check out the firefox freezing
thread) I have to do a hard reset. This, sometimes, generates
inconsistencies on the fs.

> In my experience, the only time xfs_repair has been required is when
> there have been hardware issues with the controller, storage driver,
> cabling, or with the physical drive.

For example, once, I had to do an xfs_repair because
certain /usr/share/doc directory was inaccessible and was causing all
kinds of trouble when yum upgrade -y was run by me.

xfs_repair did the job well. I would like to be able to run it without
having to reboot to the rescue cd... Or, maybe, generating a rescue
partition would be cool too!

--
Renich Bon Ciric
http://www.woralelandia.com/

# Facebook

# introbella (band)
http://www.introbella.com/

# Smolt uuid (pub_3e18efc2-dee4-459f-8d40-ddf489be817d)
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/?uuid=pub_3e18efc2-dee4-459f-8d40-ddf489be817d