Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 12:46 -0500, David G. Mackay wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 15:25 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > supporters over the past couple of years.  For me personally, the #2 issue is system
> > > stability.  In their quest to be bleeding edge or whatever you want call it, I think we
> > > have sacrificed way too much in reliability and stability.
> >
> > That is a bit like joing the army and saying "I think we should be
> > pacifists". Even if you are right, the purpose and intent of the
> > organisation is to deliver something you apparently don't want.
>
> I would argue that it's more like joining the army and having them send
> you to the front line with untested, or even known defective weaponry.
> Yes, Fedora is designed to be cutting edge, but that doesn't mean that
> decent QA should just go out the window.
>
> Then, we have the examples of putting stuff into releases that is known
> to be buggy, like the firewire stack.  It also looks like they're doing
> the same thing with NetworkManager in F9.  The theory that things will
> mature faster if we force people to test them would be more viable if
> the recent bug triage hadn't proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that a
> huge number of bug reports are simply ignored.
>
> Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great things about Fedora, but
> it's certainly not above a certain amount of criticism.  It's seemed, at
> times that this thread would have been more aptly named, "Fedora, love
> it or leave it!".

As Edward R. Morrow said, when accused by Senator Joe McCarthy as being
a "fellow traveler" when he publicly criticized the Senator and the
method and scope of his hearings,

"Do not confuse my dissent with disloyalty."

While there may be as many better ways to improve Fedora as there are
users, again dissent is not disloyalty. All of us merely grope for
commonality between the needs of the communities of users and the
developers of the Fedora Project, while respecting the traditions and
focus of the group, as a whole. Having no small measure of brains
amongst us, provides a "spirited" debate. Thesis vs Antithesis equals
Synthesis.

To those with small measures of brains, the killfile is effective. I am
no longer afflicted by the top-posters.  Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar