Re: flatbed scanner?

Tom Horsley wrote:
The last time I got a new scanner I spent about a week
correlating the lists of scanners actually available for
purchase with the list of supported devices on the sane
web pages (99.999% of which are models that are out of
production :-).

Has anyone recently purchased a flatbed scanner with good
linux support? (I mostly want it for documents and such,
not photo or negative scanning).

The Canoscan LIDE 60 I wound up with at the end of the first
painful search has apparently died the real death. It doesn't
show up as a USB device at all. If it had a fuse, I'd say
it had blown it :-). Naturally they are up to LIDE 90 now
(60 no longer made), and the 90 isn't supported in sane.
This may not be what you're asking for but I am using a Brother MFC and Brother has very good Linux support on seemingly most of their products including their own drivers for Linux. I was able to download and successfully use their drivers for printing, scanning and faxing.

If you want to check out what products they have Linux support for, you can try this Link:

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html

Bradley