Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

> > That is the heart of the question - are you just using some generic
> > interface (and US caselaw is mostly against API copyright) or are you
> > creating a new work which incorporates an existing work.
>
> The strange part is that this concept can change after the fact or by
> the existence of code you didn't know about. I think the legal system
> will have a problem with it.

I never said that it would change. Whether one work is incorporating
another doens't change because two copies of the "other" exist. The
question is much more about whether it is generic.

Suppose you write a piece of software which is split into a collection of
modules. At what point do I need your permission to dynamically link
another program against them. Clearly I do if I just put all of your
modules together again. Fairly clearly I do if I put most of your program
back together and tweak a few bits (eg if you write a game and I link all
of your game back together with a single module change say to let me turn
the music on or off). At the other end if I use your library
implementation of something like printf (say you had written your own),
it would appear I do not, as it is a generic interface.

There is a point at which I am taking your creative work and modifying
it, and a point at which I am just using generic interfaces you provided.
The challenge is to work out which is which, and even more importantly to
evolve a set of meaningful tests to make that decision.

> > Just as with books - am I creating a book referencing another work or a
> > book that incorporates chunks of another book, and that depends on
> > context and isn't entirely clear - see the current Harry Potter lawsuit.
>
> Book examples aren't very similar.

It seems to be where many lawyers look to understand the equivalences in
copyright law where there is caselaw, along with things like record
compilations.

Alan