Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 22:30 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> An interface is agnostic to what is on the other side, which is the
> point of it being an interface.   And going out of your way to not work
> with certain others is anticompetitive behavior.

You don't seem to get it, GNU was founded on certain beliefs, and just
because those beliefs are now entering the mainstream does NOT mean
RedHat and other strong believers should reverse their decisions.

Take a look at http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Members to see how
anti-competitive Linux is in the tech industry. Anyone that wants in can
contribute and have a say in the direction of it... No one owns Linux,
all you have to do is play by the rules.

> You can't choose to cater/not cater.  You either present a usable
> interface and give the user the freedom to decide what to put on the
> other side, or you don't.  The rest is just side effects.

I'll remind you it's ILLEGAL to have non-free code link against GPL
code. The price you pay for that is that you get drivers a little late,
oh well. Windows users have been perfectly fine using a system that
doesn't even support their hardware out of the box. No one is suing ATI
or Nvidia, but they are some of companies not abiding by the rules. DRI
is working as fast as they can though to create a good story despite
that.