Re: video cards for linux?

Tom Poe wrote:
Ed Greshko wrote:
Tom Poe wrote:

Define "intro". What is your goal? Achieving a satisfying virtualization and gaming experience or saving a few $.

How about explore the software and spend as little as reasonable.
Tom

OK...

What cards have you considered and what is your budget? What interface type is your system?

I'm running Dell OptiplexGX260, x11, FC8, and found a Dell Forum that mentioned Radeon9250, so that card has come up twice, now. The fact that it is used on Dell OptiplexGX260, is a good thing. The price is $62.48 including shipping. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Very. I avoid the nVidia stuff because the drivers in the kernel are not full featured and the ones with features are not open source. I've been happy with ATI, although I try to buy system boards with built in video when I can, I don't game, the drivers are fast enough for watching movies or TV, and I can add a better board after the system is otherwise up.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>