Re: F9 - Network interface disabled after each reboot

Andrew Kelly wrote:
Christopher,

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 10:29 +0100, Christopher Mocock wrote:
Hi,

I'm having a strange problem with Fedora 9 Preview. At first I couldn't get my network port to be configured by Network Manager. There are no details of it in the NetworkManager configuration screens and I can't "Add" it as all the buttons are greyed out.

Frustrated by the inability to do anything with NM, I decided instead to use system-config-network. The NIC is listed there so I configured it, made sure to check the "start interface on boot" button. Unticked the box which lets NetworkManager control the interface.

Now when I activate the interface in system-config-network, it works fine, but every time I reboot it's disabled again.

I've tried unchecking the "Enable Networking" button in NetworkManager but that makes no difference - and annoyingly is always checked again after a reboot.

System-wise, I started with the F9 Preview and have done a couple of yum updates so I'm up-to-date. The onboard NIC is an Intel 82562EZ 10/100 (e100 module).

Any ideas why this might be happening? Is Network Manager likely to be the culprit, and if so, is it fairly safe to uninstall?

Thanks in advance,

Network Manager is pretty much a justifiable suspect for hair loss,
weight gain, or why your car is suddenly getting really poor gas
mileage.

Stop any NetworkManager* services that may be running. Use chkconfig to
make sure they will not fire up at reboot. Use system-config-network to
configure and fire up your networking. Have a look
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to verify that onboot=yes

This should take of things, one would hope.

Oh, and yes, it's quite safe to uninstall NM.

Well, technically NM is useful if you use wireless and move around from
network to network.  A previous poster's comment that you use either
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network OR the /etc/rc.d/init.d/NetworkManager*
stuff is correct--they can fight each other something awful.

If you decide to run the non-NM stuff on wireless, configuring wpa_supplicant (for WPA security) is not the easiest thing to do if
you're not familiar with wireless protocols and what all the
various options mean (and the docs are a bit, uhm, sketchy).  For
example, my laptop typically lives on one of two wireless networks, one
WPA-protected and one WEP protected.  You can see how obnoxious my
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file is:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
# Office wireless network (WPA-PSK based)...
network={
    ssid="HCI2"
    scan_ssid=1
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    pairwise=CCMP
    group=CCMP
    # Note: The passphrase has two dollar signs ("$$") in it.  This
    # causes issues, so I'm using the hex hash as calculated from
    # "wpa_passphrase HCI2 mypassphrase\$\$"...
    # psk="mypassphrase$$"
    psk=f77f3f506a81d16f950b93b1be49089e4ffa7e842dad1c5a17c985a202f3fc7b

}

# Home wireless network (WEP based)...
network={
    ssid="sssscnet"
    scan_ssid=1
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key0="cleartextpass"
    wep_tx_keyidx=0
}

You also have to make sure that the wpa_supplicant is enabled in the
startup sequence.  By default, it starts MUCH later than the network
stuff (S10network, S28wpa_supplicant) and that can cause problems
with other things starting that depend on the network.  Then again,
NM only starts when the user logs in.

It's a quandary!