Re: safely remove USB hard drive

Tim:
>> It's been my experience that it will not unmount until it's finished
>> being used.  You'll be told so, and it will remain mounted.

g:
> this has been my experience up to one time that after clicking
> 'unmount' _and_ drive led went out, i removed disk. yet, when i went
> back to add to disk, i did note that file i had copied to disk was not
> there. so, to remain on safe side, i went back to old habit of 'sync'
> 3 time to ensure data buffers are flushed.

A LED going out doesn't mean it's dismounted, that just means the LED
went out.  Many drive LEDs just show current access activity, without
providing information about anything else (such as mount status).  You'd
have to check that it is actually dismounted (desktop access icons
disappearing, the drive not listed in the directory tree, etc.).

I can't see syncing after a dismount being able to do anything.  Surely
it could only work on mounted filesystems?  Syncing before dismounting
would have to vainly hope that no further file system writes happen
before you dismount.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.