Re: 'ls' hangs FC6

Mark Haney wrote:

Strangely the system hangs before displaying ANY files. If it did a few, it might be something I could nail down myself.

Now, I'm getting more and more sure that it's a user/group resolution problem since the ls -ln option works in every case where both ls and ls -l hang.

There is a good chance "strace" output will go a long way in determining the cause. I had a case where a kernel update was hanging. That was the only thing hanging. An strace quickly allowed me to determine that, of all things, it was a cdrom drive gone bad.