Re: DDNS and fedora

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 11:15 +0300, Waleed Harbi wrote:
> Hi Da Rock,
>
> It will much better if you draw your network diagram or explain it
> because some network devices support DDNS suck as Linksys, I have
> found this links explain how to configure DDNS on FC4 it should be
> same:
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/fedora_dynamic_dns
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/dynamic-dns-setup-for-either-fedora-core-client-584754/
> http://sipx-wiki.calivia.com/index.php/HowTo_Configure_DHCP_and_DNS_Servers
>
> I hope they are useful...
>
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Da Rock
> <rock_on_the_web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>         On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 16:37 +1030, Tim wrote:
>         > On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:15 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
>         > > I have a ddns network, which does work but it needs to
>         have the hostname
>         > > sent to it. Ie; dhclient -H works, but unless it is run
>         manually the
>         > > forward and reverse mapping is not done by dhcpd.
>         > >
>         > > I checked that dhclient.conf has send hostname in it, but
>         I doubt very
>         > > much that it is being read as I have made changes there to
>         no effect. I
>         > > believe somewhere in the scripting there is an issue- the
>         hostname
>         > > settings getting overridden or something.
>         > >
>         > > I've checked the man pages, and they say to only adjust
>         dhclient.conf,
>         > > or add hooks. I've adjusted the hostname settings
>         everywhere (not
>         > > simultaneously) to see if it'll work- ng.
>         > >
>         > > Anyone else got ddns to work here and know what's missing?
>         BTW I'm
>         > > testing on a wifi connection, but I doubt thats the
>         problem.
>         >
>         > Which version of Fedora are you using?  I'm guessing 8, but
>         that's only
>         > a guess.  It may affect the answers you'll get.
>         >
>         > Post your dhclient.conf file, so people can see what you've
>         done.
>         >
>         > Tell us more about your DHCP server, too.  Versions,
>         configuration
>         > details, etc.
>         >
>         > I'm not using FC8, but I do use dynamic DNS tied in with my
>         DHCP server,
>         > clients get assigned addresses, their names get entered into
>         the local
>         > DNS, and I haven't had to customise their dhclient.conf
>         files for it.
>

>         My clients send their own hostnames (there is a reason for
>         this).
>         According to all information available on the matter the
>         dhclient.conf
>         is where you need to set the dhclient -H option for
> [...]

I'd really rather not have to put up all my config for security reasons.
Especially considering that by running the dhclient manually actually
works (-H AND -cf). The problem exists in the enormous complexity of
network scripts that Fedora uses. It simply refuses to read the
dhclient.conf- so why would that be?