Re: Punch Cards.

Tim:
>> Now, with these kids and their Windows box, they still get to experience
>> something like that (even if applications are quick to start), with
>> prolonged boot-ups, and all those reboots...  :-p

Alan:
> "You have moved your mouse. To make change permanent please reboot."

It's almost that bad...  ;-)  PS/2 mice would annoy me, if the computer
started without noticing the mouse, you had to reboot to attach it.
Didn't have to with the same hardware on Linux, though.

I have a laptop that came with Vista, so I kept it, but usually ignore
it, running Linux from another partition.  Occasionally I'll boot it,
it'll start, whinge that anti-virus is out of date, download an update,
and whinge that I must reboot.  I haven't even started to use the
computer for my own purposes, yet, and I'm already having to reboot!
I'm not sure whether if I keep on going, and not reboot, whether the
anti-virus is running, but with old definitions, or isn't running.
Well, I can see it's "running," I just don't know if it's "working," and
I'm not going to test it.

Everything's a bloody reboot...

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.