Re: FC6 mount ntfs-3g problem.

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
max bianco wrote:
2008/4/2 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
max bianco wrote:

I am not sure what his fstab should look like but as far as using the
mount command I have always found that you have to be root or have
permission explicitly granted. I plug in my external drive and it just
automounts for me, i don't remember doing anything special to get this
to work, but apparently this was not the case in FC6, i have never
used FC6. Hopefully he will  let us know what happened.

Max

FC6 would auto mount as well. But if you have an entry in /etc/fstab for
the device, it will not get auto-mounted.

shouldn't it mount if the "noauto" is removed from fstab?

Max

If you remove the noauto, the init scripts will try to mount the drive. The problem is, if the drive is not plugged in, the system will not be able to mount it, and may not boot. (It is a USB drive.) If there is an entry in /etc/fstab, then the hotplug auto-mounting will not work.
Why would the box fail to boot? Assuming the drive does not contain any system files needed at startup shouldn't it just make a note of the missing drive in a log and keep going. You hinted at something related to it being a USB drive.....

If I remember correctly, auto-mounting in FC6 works better if the partition has a name. If the NTFS partition was names SHAREd, then the drive partition would get mounted on /media/SHARED. This also works in later versions. Changing the permissions and mount options different than using fstab, and involves learning a different set of rules. But tools are being developed to make it easier.

If FC6 supports automounting the drive then why was an entry in fstab needed in the first place?
Am i missing something that should be obvious here?

Max