Re: New to x86_64; why so many i386 packages?

Steve Snyder wrote:
I just installed the x86_64 build of Fedora 8. This is my first ever experience with x86_64 Linux as I haven't had the hardware before now. I'm amazed at the number of duplicate packages installed. My total of 2096 packages installed includes 417 i386 and 2 i686 packages, all of which duplicate an existing x86_64 packages.

I understand that some applications don't play nicely when built for 64-bit pointers, but is it really necessary to have all these compatibility libraries just for those few apps?

It depends. If you want to use 3rd-party browser plugins that are only available for 32-bit firefox, you need the plethora of libraries and their dependencies required to support it. Plenty of other 32-bit apps can cause this dependency cascade as well, so the installer just gives you both versions of most libraries.

Personally, I do the following after installing a 64-bit system:

yum remove *.i386
yum install yum-basearchonly

And everything works just fine.

-- Chris