Re: Fedora 8, Limited updates to F9 Release, Possible?

Neal Becker wrote:
Why?
So I can keep what I have set for myself,
take advantage of F9 "tweaks\essential" updates.
Without doing the whole backup restore thing.
I think you'll find that most of the F9 packages depend on different
versions of essential libraries, so it's not really practical. Recently
I tried updating Evolution from Rawhide and yum wanted to change over
100 other packages. Naturally I declined.

poc

You should be able to pull in specific rpms using:
yum --enablerepo=development install whatever

A great deal of programs that depend on library upgrades were rebuilt for Fedora 9. That is probably the reason why so many programs were included for update. A lot of times though it is dangerous to try to pull in pieces of Fedora 9 into Fedora 8. For example the X server is quite different and versions for Fedora 8 may be later than what is used in rawhide, updates testing anyway.

--
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things
difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.