Re: Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

max bianco wrote:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

max bianco wrote:

am I the only person that voluntarily uses Fedora? I have only been
using it a short time  but i understood it was a moving target when i
signed on.  This thread reminds me of KL. It wasn't that long ago so i
am sure most of you remember to whom i am referring.
Fedora is what it is and some have more experience than others. Is there
some other lesson to take away from this thread?
Fedora tries to stay very close to current software development.  That
means you get the new features as well as the new bugs.  On a desktop or
as a second, non-critical machine that is a reasonable tradeoff,
especially if you use the applications where the new features matter.
This thread is mostly about servers where downtime is to be avoided at
(almost) any cost and you want things to keep working for years.  It
isn't about fedora being inherently bad, it just isn't suitable for some
uses.

I know it isn't suitable for some uses. I tried to learn what  I could
about  Fedora before I actually installed it on my machine.  It seems
however  that  some people have unrealistic expectations.   The  bleeding
edge and stable are not  words  i would expect to  fit into the  same
sentence under any circumstances. Having said that it has been very stable

but you just did:-)

for me, and by stable i mean that it has never failed to boot, have i had
issues? Sure but the basic functionality has always been there for me. Maybe
some features break from time to time but i have always been able to access
the web to solve my problems, would i use it for a server? maybe but I'd not
have much room to complain if I tried to ride the bleeding edge and fell off
the cliff because of it.

You seem to have a fair appreciation of the key points. Unfortunately, a lot of folk get "Fedora Unleashed" - often for an old or even obsolete release - and have at it without understanding those key points. The author of the original article seems to have been one such.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait