Re: /etc/resolv.conf changes

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 17:58 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 16:09 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 12:49 -0700, vincenzo romero wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I'm getting frustrated attempting to understand; I googled and asked
> > > folks and am unable to get a straight answer.
> > >
> > > 1.  How is the /etc/resolv.conf file maintained ?  I do not seem to
> > > get a consistent result when I save resolv.conf configuration from GUI
> > > or by hand using vim /etc/resolv.conf.
> > >
> > > a.  Sometimes I the entries toggles between the two entries:
> > >
> > > # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
> > > ; Use a local caching nameserver controlled by NetworkManager
> > > nameserver 127.0.0.1
> > >
> > > b.  then when I restart the network services some the /etc/resolv.conf
> > > file appears like this:
> > > # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
> > > ; Use a local caching nameserver controlled by NetworkManager
> > > search lab.mycompany.com
> > > nameserver 192.168.17.2
> > >
> > > This host is:
> > >
> > > - a DNS server that is authoritative for its domain within the
> > > 192.168.16/20 network
> > > - I believe that even as DNS server, this host should have its
> > > resolv.conf file configured to define itself as a DNS server, right?
> > >
> > > I apologize for the naive questions, but I am a newbie and am unable
> > > to gather a straightforward answer.
> > >
> > > thanks in advance.
> > You really can't edit /etc/resolv.conf when you are using a DNS server.
> > When you are connected to the network it is the DNS nameserver that sets
> > up the resolv.conf file. In the first case above:
>
> This isn't quite correct.
>
> /etc/resolv.conf contains the IP addresses of your DNS servers.
This is a semantic argument. We are talking about wireless. Until you
connect to the wireless router's AP the resolve.conf computer has no
idea about the name of your DNS server. The router supplies that form
the DNS server.

> If you connect to your network with a DHCP server, that server provides
> your IP address and it *may* provide information about DNS servers,
> which your dhcp client will put in /etc/resolv.conf.  It also may not,
> or you may decline to use the provided information.  Or you may connect
> statically.  In that case, you need to hand-edit /etc/resolv.conf or use
> system-config-network to set static DNS servers.
>
> > > # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
> > > ; Use a local caching nameserver controlled by NetworkManager
> > > nameserver 127.0.0.1
> >
> > you has not yet made a connection to the internet.
>
> Network manager uses a DHCP client to get your DNS info and places it
> in /etc/resolv.conf.  If you decline to use that information, you
> probably have installed a caching nameserver.  In that case, its IP
> address is 127.0.0.1
>

> --
>                 Matthew Saltzman
>
> Clemson University Math Sciences
> mjs AT clemson DOT edu
> http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once, It said "Good-bye. --
Richard Armour