Re: LVM: how do I change the UUID of a LV?

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 13:28 +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 10:23:24AM -0800, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> > I know how to change the UUID of Physical Volumes and Volume Groups, but
> > when I try to do the same for a Logical Volume, lvchange complains that
> > "--uuid" is not an option.
>
> Nobody's yet made a case for adding that feature.
> Why do you want it?
>
> Alasdair

Instead of installing a new guest in Xen everytime, I have one default
image that is a bare install, kept up-to-date.  When I want to provision
a new VM, I simply copy the disk image (file at the moment, evaluating
using a LV as a block device instead of tap:aio) then do a losetup,
kpartx, and change UUIDs of everything, mount the LVMs and ext3 boot
partition to change the hostname, IP, etc. of the system.  When that is
done, I just do a `xm create new-system` after I've setup the config
file in /etc/xen and I have a system that is up-to-date and ready to be
used for what-ever purposes that have been determined (I've also thought
about installing new software while I'm chroot'd in the new guest
image).

--Tim
/ It is sweet to let the mind unbend on occasion.      \
\                 -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace) /
  \
   \   \
        \ /\
        ( )