Re: why can't i see *all* mounts with "mount"?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  i'm curious as to why the "mount" command won't show me all the
mounts that i can view via /proc/mounts.  for example, "mount" doesn't
show me the usbfs mount, or the selinuxfs mount, or ... well, you get
the idea.

  were these mount types left out of the output of mount for a reason?
just curious.

rday

Mount uses /etc/mtab - it is possible to mount file systems without writing to mtab. Also, the file systems mounted before the root file system is remounted r/w will not get written. On the other hand, /proc/mounts shows all the mounts the kernel knows about.

I suspect the reason that mount does not use /proc/mounts is for a couple of reasons. First of all, when it was written, there was not a /proc file system. I believe you can also run a Linux system without a /proc file system.

Mikkel