Re: Where does chkconfig write its settings?

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 12:37 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
> >> I couldn't see where chkconfig saves its settings.
> >
> > That's because it doesn't....
> >
> >  From the man page....
> >
> >        chkconfig  provides  a  simple  command-line  tool  for
> >        maintaining
> >   the /etc/rc[0-6].d directory hierarchy by relieving system
> >   administrators
> >   of the  task  of  directly manipulating the numerous symbolic links in
> >   those
> > directories.
> >
> > So, the "settings" are simply the links themselves....
>
> Thanks, I should have thought of that.

To see which links should be where, look at the chkconfig line in the
startup script in /etc/init.d.  The line lists runlevels where the
service should be started (in other runlevels it should be stopped) and
its start priority and stop priority.

chkconfig also manages xinetd services, changing the files
in /etc/xinetd.d, changing the "disable =" value to "yes" or "no".

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs