Re: Modem help

max bianco wrote:

2008/2/22 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>:

    Let me make sure I understand what you are trying to do. If I am
    reading things right, you want people to be able to dial into your
    machine, and log in (or make a ppp connection). If this is the case,
    you need to configure mgetty for the ports you want. You then need
    to create entries for each line in /etc/inittab. They used to
    include examples in inittab, but they do not any more. There are
    examples in the inittab man page. There is also a fair amount of
    documentation included in the gmetty package.

Yes I want to be able to dial in and access the network. However I am having trouble dialing out from my f8 box as it does not detect the modem. The dial-in server is centos actually but it has the same problem, it cannot detect the modem that is installed. So I figure these as my first two hurdles, getting both boxes to recognize that they have modems then setting up the stuff you suggest with mgetty or do i have to configure mgetty to get my modem recognized in the first place? The mgetty config would only be needed on the machine i dial in to right?

Yes, you only need mgetty on the machine you are dialing into. But you are correct, you need to get the modem recognized as the first step. I am used to using external modems for this - that way, if the modem hangs in a strange mode, you can reset it without rebooting the machine. (I have had more then one modem fail to reset properly after a call.)

Mikkel