Re: Adding a logical volume

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
    >> How do I do this?
    >> partition, then tried to change its system id to 8e (LVM). It
    >> wouldn't let me.

You should have made it a primary partition. An extended partition is usually used as a container for situations where you want more than 4 partitions.

I think this is built into anaconda. You could setup a partition with it and not actually go through the installer.

    Timothy> Not sure if this is relevant, but as I understand it you
    Timothy> have to create LVM in a partition like /dev/sdb2 .

    Timothy> So the first step is to create such a partition with
    Timothy> fdisk.  You should give it the LVM partition type (with
    Timothy> fdisk), though I am not sure if this is necessary.

Yes I did this now. I don't know why it worked the first time.

But now I have got into a terrible mess. I accidentally chose to click
the box for a clustered volume group. And now I cannot get rid of
it. All commands (including vgremove) just skip the clustered volume
group.

How do I remove it (or mark it as non-clustered)?

You might be able to go back into fdisk and remove all partitions and then recreate a primary partition, toggle the partition type and then start over carefully. I would expect the GUI for lvm management could handle this task. I have not used lvm for a very long time bu did use the GUI lvm manager successfully. Hopefully s-c-lvm is getting better.

Jim

--
The "cutting edge" is getting rather dull.
		-- Andy Purshottam