Re: Advice for Red Hat/Fedora

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greetings folks;

As a staunch believer in Open Source in the form of linux, I've always
wondered just where M$ would attack linux, and it appears they have found an
ally and a willing vehicle in Novel, who I am told now owns gnome.

I'll let the data in this link speak for itself.

<http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/15/mono-contamination-in-ubuntu/>

And then offer the advice to TPTB in North Carolina, that some of the recipes
given in that link be used to expung any and all references to .NET and mono
from any distribution they can influence to do so including their own get.
If that means functions go away until they are re-written from scratch, so be
it.  If we are reminded as to why occasionally, I suspect you will find the
majority of us tolerant as long as the functions don't stay on the missing
list forever.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

While I don't understand, but respect RedHat's alliance with Gnome, I
do wish I had the choice to have a gnome free (as in `rpm -qa | grep
gnome` returns no results). At this point, this is simply not an
available choice. I wish to have little to/nothing to do with Gnome as
they seem intent on embracing Mono (which I understand is their own
choice).

Also, I wish that installing from the DVD would give a cleared choice
between KDE and Gnome, and their respective packages -- removing Gnome
does not remove the preselected optional gnome apps.

+1