|> On that page:
|>
|> "How to Use Jigdo?"
|>
|> with a link named "howto"
|> - -------------------------------------------------
|>
|> Which takes you here:
|>
|> "Using Jigdo to Download Re-Spin ISOs"
|> http://fedorasolved.org/post-install-solutions/jigdo/
|> - -------------------------------------------------
|>
|> Near the bottom of that page is a section named:
|>
|> "Using Already Downloaded Data"
|>
|> which says:
|>
|> "An ideal way to use jigdo is to "patch" an existing ISO that you have
|> downloaded in the past. This will reduce the amount of data needing to be
|> downloaded. To be able to use this existing data do the following:
|>
|> For an existing ISO image:
|>
|> ~   1. Mount the image using a loop device:
|>
|> ~      mount -t iso9660 -o loop /path/to/oldimage.iso
|> /path/to/mount/point/
|>
|> ~   2. Tell jigdo-lite where the media is mounted, when it asks. You can
|> also pass the --scan option to specify a directory to scan for files.
|>

|> For an image already written to media:
|>
|> ~   1. Insert the media, take note of where it gets mounted. In Fedora, it
|> should be mounted in /media/something.
|> ~   2. Tell jigdo-lite where the media is mounted, when it asks. You can
|> also pass the --scan option to specify a directory to scan for files."
|>

|> That seems fairly clear to me.
|
| It is probably possible to put together the necessary information
| from the sources you quote - I shall try it this evening -
| but I still don't find it very lucid.
| I actually read - or scanned through - the whole article,
| and deduced, probably wrongly, that I would have to edit
| a .jigdo file.
|
| If as you seem to say it is easy for anyone to follow,
| I would be interested to know how many people have done so.
|
| This is my philosphy:
| Jigdo is an alternative to running "yum update".
| The latter takes 1 brain cell, and 2 hours of my computer's time.
| Using jigdo has taken 100,000 of my brain cells so far,
| and will probably take 15 minutes to run when I get it running.
| Present rate of exchange: 1 brain cell = 1 hour computer time.

;-)

The revised DVDs, or CD sets, would help someone that has several machines
to update, for fresh installs, or new installs by someone that does not
have high speed Internet bandwidth. That was my reason to do this in the
first place. To hand out Fedora 8 to people that I know what are that way.
Two people have limited download bytes/month. One has a dialup 56k modem
that tops out at 33.6k before it looses stability. He also needed the CD
set. One person does not have Internet access at home at all and his boss
would frown on his using the companies bandwidth.

BTW I made the 20080204 Fedora i386 CD set by using the updated 20080204
Fedora-Unity DVD as my package source. Jigdo downloaded nothing but the
templates for the CDs and took all of the rpm packages from the DVD. That
was interesting to watch.

~From the way it reads Jigdo can also be used to make a Fedora 7 into a
Fedora 8. Speaking of which, as I understand it, jigdo will be an option
for Fedora 9 ISOs.

As for an "edit a .jigdo file"? There is one that is created by the
program, a configuration file, that can be edited if you want to do that.
It contains the information that you enter at program start. There is also
a template configuration file that is downloaded that can be edited. If
you wish to do that. I did.

I'll help if I can. Good luck.
- --

~  David