Re: desktop comfigure issue??

Y Uanlux wrote:
On Feb 18, 2008 10:01 AM, Khoa Ton <khoa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Khoa Ton wrote:
Y Uanlux wrote:
Hi
I am using gnome on Fedora 7 (updated to latest versions). One day I
incidentally deleted many file at my home dir /home/usr1 by a command
rm -rf *

Of course most files, except some symbolic linked ones and hidden ones
(eg .jpilot etc), were remove. After rebooted, I put back some
settings.  However, there is a desktop problem. Every thing created at
the home dir /home/usr1/ is put on desktop, making the desktop very
crowed. How to fix it?
What I did when my desktop got messed up and wanted to get back to
the default was to create a new user and logged on at that user.

At logon, the desktop manager creates all the desktop configuration
files.  Then, I renamed the new user's home directory to my old
user's home and move my personal files over.

Thanks for your alternative. I assume you move personal files (for
example, .gnome etc) from the new home dir to the new one??

I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do this, but this is the
surest way to get back to the default desktop environment.

I hope some one can offer an additional solution too.

Good luck,
Khoa
Oops, forgot to mention you'll have to chown the home directory
to your old user as well.

Khoa

Since .gnome and similar directories most likely store desktop information,
I would not move my old one to replace the new one, since doing so might
get me back to the desktop problems I tried to get rid of.

Aaron Konstam's suggestion of using taring up old home directory and using
tar -k to copy to new clean home directory and keeping any existing files
(like .gnome dir created by desktop manager for new user) seems like
the way to go.

Khoa