Re: Fedora Home Network

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 22:31 -0600, Joe W. Byers wrote:
> I could use some advice.
>
> I now have 3 linux computers running on my home network (EL5 (server),
> Fedora 6(ancient PC as a workstation), and Fedora 8(laptop).  I want to
> set it us so that my family has only one login for each machine and all
> information is stored on the server.  I am not a admin.  I have read
> many documents, lists, and other information on this.  I read on SAMBA,
> LDAP, NFS, kerbosis and more.  I have myself very confused on what to
> do.  I tried SAMBA, which works for sharing, but not for user
> management.  LDAP and kerbosis I am just confused.
>
> I could your advice or a HOW-TO set this up and get it working.  The
> laptop will need a local user as well outside the home network.
>
> My user are only family members, behind a router firewall.
>
> I appreciate any help and thank you in advance.
>
> Hell, if anyone replying lives in Houston, TX and we get this to work,
> several pints would be in order.
>
> Thank you
> Joe

NIS is what you want to use. One machine would have the passwd database
and the others would load the passwd when required./etc/nsswitch.conf
tells the system where to look for passwds and other common information.
If you had better tools, you could more effectively demonstrate your
total incompetence.