Re: Difference between IDE and SCSI ??

> actual SCSI commands, just the kernel's API that is normally used to
> interface to SCSI host adapters to send the SCSI command) into commands for
> the various ATA controllers.  At least that is my high-level understanding of
> the mechanism.

Roughly speaking thats correct. It also handles the low level stuff like
probing which is ATA specific along with the bus level protocol for those
controllers that don't do it themselves.

Basically ATAPI devices (CD/TAPE/etc) are SCSI over ATA so each command
is wrapped in an ATAPI PACKET command and issued. For ATA some
translation is done for both commands and errors but the translations are
pretty simple.

Alan