USB external hard drive disconnecting

Hi.  I bought an external USB hard drive last week and reformatted it
as ext3.  I can mount it and read/write files, but for some reason it
periodically disconnects and reconnects.  I would like to use it as
permanent storage, hooked up to my computer all the time.  I added a
label to it and put a line in fstab to mount it.  But I'm getting
lines like these in my /var/log/messages:

Feb  5 00:07:05 pigpen kernel: usb 1-7: USB disconnect, address 4
Feb  5 00:07:06 pigpen kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Feb  5 00:07:06 pigpen kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sdd1):
ext3_find_entry: reading directory #2 offset 0
Feb  5 00:07:06 pigpen kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
(and more...)

It's then quickly found again, though assigned sde1 in this case and
of course not automatically mounted.  I'm assuming the filesystem also
requires an e2fsck because it was disconnected.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?  Is it likely a hardware
issue?  I have another external drive that I've been using without
problems for about a year, but it's firewire.  Previously, I was using
both drives with autofs, but the new drive had some problems with that
approach, too.  (Now that I've learned about filesystem labels, that
seems like the way to go anyway.)

I'm running F8 with all updates (kernel-2.6.23.14-107.fc8).

Thanks,
reid