Re: [F8] Sound and automounting in runlevel 3

On 1/26/08, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  IIRC, this has already been discussed here, but somehow I failed to find the
>  right threads in the archives. :-(
>
>  So, on a new freshly installed&updated F8 system working in runlevel 3, two
>  problems struck me.
>
>  1) Sound does not work: alsamixer, aplay, mplayer, xmms, kmix, whatever...,
>  say that they don't have permissions (I am not at the machine atm, sorry for
>  missing exact error report). If i start KDE/Gnome, everything just works like
>  magic. I did try naively to fiddle with perms of /dev/dsp, but that doesn't
>  work.

I've no idea what the correct way to do this is, but I got it to work
as I wanted it by putting the following in
/etc/security/console.perms.d/60-sound.perms:

# device classes -- these are shell-style globs
<sound>=/dev/dsp /dev/adsp /dev/snd/*

# permission definitions
<console>  0666 <sound>         0666 root.pulse-access

# end of file
You probably want to make this more restrictive, e.g by adding
yourself to pulse-access and making the permissions 0660

>  2) Automounting doesn't work: if I put a cd in the drive, flash mem in usb
>  port, or similar, a mount point is not created in /media and the media is not
>  mounted. Again, if I work inside KDE/Gnome, this does work.
>
>  I know that KDE and Gnome have their own facilities for this, but I need it
>  working in rl3. What am I supposed to configure, and what is the Right Way to
>  configure it?

I don't run gnome or kde. To get this functionality I manually run
gnome-volume-manager. I've never tried it in rl3, but it might work.

Regards,

Chris