Re: Difference between IDE and SCSI ??

William Case wrote:

My original question was not to have someone else do my investigation
for me, but to either give me reassurance that all three, IDE, PATA and
SCSI are exactly the same thing and can be used interchangeably on a
current system, or to point out where I have missed the difference and
when I should use one term over the other.

From a system/filesytem/user perspective they are interchangeable. The kernel only recently started identifying IDE's as /dev/sdX devices (related to merging some of the SATA handling, I believe), so that part is a little confusing. There are physical differences that you would have to keep straight if you had both when connecting cables and telling your bios which to boot.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx