Re: Good bye

Tony Molloy wrote:

Security updates are still being provided to XP so existing users aren't
being forced to switch yet as they are continuously in fedora, and
there's a chance they will have it mostly fixed by SP2 time.  In any
case I can deal with a change once a decade or so. But yes, I will
complain if any of my current programs don't continue to run or else
have push-button updates to fix them.

You try to buy a PC from Dell recently with XP installed.

I don't object so much to installing a new system on a new machine because I normally keep my old ones running to cover anything that won't work immediately. Once everything is running correctly though, there is no excuse for breaking it and it should not be necessary to reinstall an operating system for the life of the hardware.

I presume most of the major manufacturers are the same. It's Vista or bust. Now lets see we had Windows-98 Windows-nt Windows-2000 Windows-XP Windows-Vista all in the last decade. That's not counting the home versions versus the professional versions. Lots of these had incompatibilities.

You can find exceptions, but just about every third party program would run across that set because the commonly used interfaces were maintained. And if you expect a 5-year useful life for hardware, most of those lasted that span with security updates once MS recognized the need for them.

A chance ;-) XP-SP2 hasn't fixed XP problems why should Vista-SP2 be expected to fix Vista problems.

What problems do you still see in XP or 2000+? My updated post-SP2 windows machines are as stable/reliable as anything running Linux. My laptap sometimes gets into an odd state after many standby/wakeup-on-a-different-wireless network operations but I haven't been able to make that work at all under Linux for a comparison. I haven't closely tracked the size/number of updates, but I'd guess that there is more update churn in even the Centos5.x distro than a pre-vista windows. That's not a completely fair comparison because of the additional apps in the Linux distros, but a few years back I would have promoted linux as the more stable choice.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx