Re: Is a distro independent grub boot possible using a boot partition???

This might not really answer your question, but there's an option you can use to switch from one grub to another (in stage 2).

When I was switching from FC6 to F8, I installed F8 on a separate partition (not wishing to destroy any of the old data). That included a fresh /boot partition.
Then, I added an entry to the new /boot/grub/menu.lst:

title Fedora FC6
       root (hd0,5)
       configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

(hd0,5) was the old / partition

Since I initially installed grub to MBR, instead of partition, chainloader directive didn't work

HTH