Re: lvm re-install strategy

If I am reading this right you still have unallocated space on /dev/sda?

Option 1:
If that is the case then with the DVD install just create a new logical
volume (ie /dev/VGNAME/rootf8lv) to install Fedora 8 into that logical
volume.  You can tell the install to use /dev/sdb1 as your /boot again
and tell the installer to not format that device which will preserve the
old Fedora 6 kernel files. (You might have to manually edit the
grub.conf to add Fedora 6 as a boot option afterwards.

Option 2:
If you can move the data that is on /dev/sda to some other location (and
do not forget to exportvg or removevg it from you Fedora 6 install).
then you can repartition /dev/sda so that it has 2 partitions which are
a /boot ext3 partition and a LVM partition. During the install have
Fedora 8 installed to a new logical volume in the new volume group (you
could add /dev/sda to the old volume group as well to have all the
drives in the same volume group) on /dev/sda. You will have to edit the
grub.conf in /dev/sda1 to setup chain loading to /dev/sdb1.

--
Adam Hough <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>