Questions re samba/cifs stuff in general

Greetings all;

I guess I'm getting lazy in my dotage, but do we have in our current bag of
tricks, a gui program that can display the available cifs/samba shares on the
local network, and then allow the local mounting of such a visible share by
nothing more elegant than having the user enter both the username to log in
as, and the password, hopefully remembering those items till the rapture or
some such silly amount of time?

I ask because I just spent over an hour trying to get the syntax right for a
mount.cifs invocation to do just that.  I hate manpages without any actual,
known to work examples.

Also, where did smbmount go?  Its loss means that even if I could have
recovered my even more complex script from the old FC6/etc/init.d, it would
have failed.  I can reinvent that wheel eventually but its been 7 or 8 years
since I had to fool with this & things get rusty, call it CRS, whatever.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)