Re: Broadcom B43 Wireless Card / Driver Issues

John W. Linville escribió:
On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:53:27AM -0200, Martin Marques wrote:
Manish Kathuria escribió:
I am using Fedora 8 x86_64 (kernel 2.6.23.14-107) on my Dell Vostro
laptop which has a Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wireless mini PCI
lan device which has been automatically detected and uses the b43
wireless driver.

I have configured the wireless device wlan0 using a static IP address
and have provided the ESSID, CHANNEL, MODE, RATE settings. The
wireless device comes up and gets associated with the  Access Point /
Wireless Router when the system is started. However if the wireless
router is restarted the wireless device on the laptop fails to
associate with it again and I have to restart the network service in
order to connect to it. If I remember correctly, the Intel Centrino
ipw2200 device on my older laptop never had this problem and nor does
a PCI wireless card (Realtek 8180) which I have configured using
ndiswrapper. What could be the reason for this problem ? Any tips or
suggestions ?
Use NetworkManager.

Good advice.  Alternatively you could use wpa_supplicant (whether or
not you are using WPA encryption), or you could simply do "iwconfig
wlan0 essid $ESSID" whenever you detect that your AP has been reset.

If you want a technical explanation...the hardware in question is
"soft MAC" device which uses the mac80211 infrastructure in the
kernel.

Isn't this one of the things that are gonna get improved with the new driver in kernel 2.6.25?