Re: dhcpd mystery

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 13:06 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Who or what decides the length of a dhcp lease?

The server.  It doles out the lease, the client just *asks* for what it
wants, and has to make do with what it gets.

You have configuration options on the server for the maximum, and
defaults.  The client can ask for what it wants, but the server will
ultimately decide.  Before the lease expires, the client will ask for it
to be renewed.  Going from memory, it asks at the half-way point.

On some clients you can configure the values it asks for, others not,
and the defaults for different clients are different.

Configure your server as you want leases to be handled (the maximum and
minimum possible lease times, and your preferred defaults).  Configure
your clients, if you want something particular for those clients, or
leave them be.

> My grand-daughter's Wii seems to have an even shorter lease time,
> at least it exchanges DHCPREQUEST/DHCPACK with the server every 2
> minutes

Reminds me of the haggling scene in The Life of Brian...  2 minutes for
this lease?  You must be mad...

But I can see why they'd set short ones for games, people expect games
to just plug in and start working.  Having to put up with long delays
while changes take place would be untenable, particularly with
multi-machine network gaming.  But if you had a network where the only
thing was changing was that one Wii, and you didn't want it doing it
that rapidly, you'd set the servers minimum lease time to be longer, and
the Wii would have to put up with a longer lease time.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.