Re: Latest f8 kernel vs startx, 1-0

On Monday 28 January 2008, John Thompson wrote:
>On 2008-01-28, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The latest yum installed kernel (2.6.23.14-107.fc8) boots to runlevel
>> 3 just fine, but startx fails, something about the GLX module even though
>> I have a script that builds a fresh nvidia.ko in my rc.local list that did
>> run successfully.
>>
>> So I'm back on 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 ATM.
>
>What happens if you try the open source "nv" driver instead?  Did you
>recompile the proprietary NVidia modules for the new kernel?

Yes, I long ago wrote a script to do that automatically.  Its launch is the
last line in rc.local.  If its a reboot and the module is present, it does
nothing, if its missing, it builds and installs it as part of the boot
process so I don't have to worry about it.  I sat here and watched it build
the module for 2.6.23.14-107-fc8.

I can post the script, and how its setup, if anyone is interested.

Thanks John.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)