Re: request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

Reik Red wrote:

Mikkel,

Sorry, our emails crossed. Would it make sense to use "prefer same drive first match" instead of "last match" as the default choice in the case of duplicate labels?

To answer your question from the intermediate email: Yes, f8=64bit, so it probably would have worked even if it mounted LABEL=/ from /dev/sdc, but as seen from the above, the LABEL=/1 already
saves the situation before it gets that far.

There is even an Anaconda tie-in here, because I recall that Anaconda chose the /usr1 (et al) labels because I had another drive attached while installing, and that drive used LABEL=/usr
already. It gets complicated!

I think "prefer same drive first match" would be the most robust method,
but I'm as you can see far from an expert on this topic.

What is your opinion?

Thanks
Reik

Yes, the installer will pick different labels if the default ones are in use. It would be better is the labels from the boot drive had preference when duplicates are found. I suspect the current behavior is because the programmer did not expect to find duplicate labels, and the ones found later overwrite the earlier ones. But this is only a guess on my part.

One way out of this would be to re-label the partitions, and then edit grub.conf and fstab to match. I like descriptive labels. Something like /-F732, /-F764, boot-F732, boot-F764. Just remember that when you are dealing with labels, that /boot is not the same as boot. So if you use a label of boot-F732 then you need to use LABEL=boot-F732. I only have 32 bit installs, so I use labels like /-F7 and boot-F7. You may find something like boot-F7-32 works better for you. You are limited to 16 character labels.

Mikkel