Re: GRUB

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:02:53 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:

> In the F8 info grub it states you can boot a linux computer with this:
>
> grub> root (hd0,4)
> grub> kernel /vmlinuz
> grub> boot
>
> But this does not work on F8. I used full kernel address and root=
> things and Grub found the right kernel. Then I applied the boot and grub
> dropped out and there was no boot and no information on why.
>
>     If anyone can get this to work please write this list.

	I don't know if it's even relevant, but in discussion on a LUG, I
*think* I understood someone who seemed knowledgeable to say that editing
done inside grub does not *take* in the sense of being kept anywhere. It
has whatever effect it does, only that once.

	He, being used to that, actually liked it that way. It meant he
could try something, see if it worked, and only then (having presumably
kept good notes) go into grub.conf or menu.lst and put the changes that
worked where they *would* take.

	Seems strange to me; but it sounds as if it might have something
to do with the troubles you're describing.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Evangelist
Fedora 8; Ubuntu 7.10; CentOS 5.1; Alpine 1.0, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6