Re: Can anyone explain the delay when switching from X to console

Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 17:43 -0700, stan wrote:
This has been bugging me for a while. It used to be (years ago) that the switch from X to a console would be almost instantaneous. Over
the years, it just seems to keep getting longer and longer.  Today it
is taking almost 5 seconds to switch to a console.  The switch back is
much faster, maybe a second.   Can anyone explain this, and is there
an adjustment to speed it up.

I'm running Fedora 7.

Are you still using the same monitor?  I get a delay on my system, but
I'm sure that's down to the monitor I'm using taking a moment to sync up
to the new rate, blanking the screen in the meantime.  If I type while
the screen isn't showing anything, it's there when the display does come
up.  My prior monitor was much quicker at resyncing, and I don't recall
this issue with it.

Same monitor and video card, an old nvidia. I can type ahead as long as I wait until the console is almost up. If I start too soon, some of the typing gets lost. So I usually just wait until it comes up to start typing. There is a noise from the monitor as it syncs in both directions, and as you say the synchronization is quick. About half the delay is before the sync click and half after it.