Re: GRUB

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 11:02 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> In the F8 info grub it states you can boot a linux computer with this:
>
> grub> root (hd0,4)
> grub> kernel /vmlinuz
> grub> boot

That used to work, and may still work with some distros.  Because
inside /boot there's a symlink from "vmlinuz" *to* the latest current
vmlinuz file.

> But this does not work on F8.

I don't do Fedora 8 yet, but 7 doesn't have that symlink, and I don't
remember seeing it for a very long time, perhaps as far back as Red Hat
Linux 7.

>  I used full kernel address and root= things and Grub found the right
> kernel.

Of course that's going to work, if done right.  But I suspect that you
haven't included the initrd line, and that your system needs something
from the initrd file to be able to work.

> Then I applied the boot and grub dropped out and there was no boot and
> no information on why.

What do you mean by "applied the boot"?

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

- Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
- Perhaps...  I've got a boot, here, and it's tempting to put it on
  and...