Re: GRUB

Les Mikesell wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

    I got interested in an old thing I thought might still work. This
you can do from a rescue disk that goes into grub, which is all the
Fedora ones for some time. I wanted to type this in the grub and see if
it works:

grub> root (hd1,4)
grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.14-107.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/
grub> boot
Don't you need initrd ?

    Well it came back and told me what kernel it found and I thought it
was happy so I did boot, but it didn't.

    My problem about grub is there are a lot of changes from just 3
years ago.

I agree with you that grub documentation leaves something to be desired.

However, I would have to add that I am amazed that you have not noticed
in your reading about grub
that you normally need an initrd as well as a kernel to start a Linux system.

I think it is only absolutely required if the device drivers needed to access the root filesystem must be loaded as modules.

From the kernel name, it looks like he is using a Fedora kernel, and not one he compiled himself. So he is going to need an initrd. The drivers he needs are not going to be compiled in.

Grub only briefly covers using an initrd in the OS specific section covering Linux. This is understandable, because it is a general purpose boot loader. You are expected to go to the kernel documentation to find out when/why you need an initrd.

Mikkel