Re: No control on volume after upgrade F7 -> F8

On Sunday 27 January 2008 16:42, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 08:42 +0100, Przemyslaw Gawronski wrote:
> >> Hi, I've got another problem after upgrading to F8. None of the volume
> >> controls work :(
> >>
> >> system-config-soundcard detects my card, and plays the test sound fine,
> >> but I can't change how loud it is played. Neither does
> >> gnome-volume-control work. It has no effect on the volume.
> >>
> >> Running alsamixer I get this message:
> >>
> >> +++
> >> *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
> >>
> >> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused
> >> +++
> >>
> >> Is there any way I can run F8 without PulseAudio? It seams it isn't an
> >> integral and stable part of Fedora yet. With F7 everything was working
> >> great but F8 is giving me a hard time :(
> >>
> >> Thanks for help
> >
> > alsamixeer does not work if you have pulseaudio installed.
> >
> > I have the same problem with volume control. On that I need help.
> >
> > --
> > One of the most overlooked advantages to computers is... If they do foul
> > up, there's no law against whacking them around a little. -- Joe Martin
> > Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio pulseaudio
>
>     If you do this your sound should become good again.
>
> Karl

Just a point Karl, and as I've mentioned before. The only package that needs
to be removed is alsa-plugins-pulseaudio. Doing this is sufficient to get
your sound working again.

Neither pulseaudio, or any of the other pulseaudio packages need to be
removed. F8 will still update pulseaudio packages, but will not, repeat, will
not re-install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, so your sound (hopefully) will
continue to work.

Cordially.

Nigel.