Re: Wireless (again)

Kenneth Lee wrote:

>> As I recall, somebody suggested the OP should look at "the HCL"
>> to determine the chipset in WiFi devices

> HCL - Hardware Compatibility List
>
> You can get information on this at:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HCL?highlight=%28HCL%29

I did indeed read this,
which led me to my conclusion that there is no "Fedora HCL",
and in fact nothing that could be described as "the" HCL.

>> The actual chip set numbers?
> lspci works well to get information from your system.  Also viewing dmesg.

As it happens, I am not using a PCI WiFi device on my current laptop.
I do have one on my desktop, but lspci does not give any useful information
about it, because it uses a PCI-to-PCMCIA bridge.

Dmesg is quite informative, but I think it only gives the version number
as reported by the manufacturer, so if in fact the manufacturer
changed the chip without changing the version one could not tell from dmesg:
-------------------------------------
eth1: Hardware identity 0003:0001:0004:0000
eth1: Station identity  001f:0001:0008:0048
eth1: Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 8.72
-------------------------------------

I was just looking at my LinkSys WRT54GL router, which runs Linux
and which I can telnet into.
There is no lspci command (I take it they had to minimize the applications)
but dmesg does tell me
eth1: Broadcom BCM4320 802.11 Wireless Controller 3.90.39.0
I'm not sure if BCM4320 is an actual chip number,
or just Broadcom's version number.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366