Re: Maintaining a local yum repository

Jeffrey Tadlock wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2008 11:25 AM, Derek Tattersall <tatters@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I currently have 3 computers running Fedora 8. I think it would probably
>> be a good thing to set up a local repository for yum, rather than
>> downloading each package 3 times.
>
> As others have mentioned, InstantMirror would probably work well for this:
>
> https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/InstantMirror/wiki
>
> I have been using it for about three weeks now or so on a home network
> with three machines active taking advantage of it and various test
> installs and such using it when they are built up.  It was pretty easy
> to setup and once one machine updates, the other machines will just
> grab it from the local repo.  It has made updates here for subsequent
> machines much, much faster.  And when I rebuilt a laptop here with
> Fedora 8 on it, the post install update process was less painful than
> if I had to pull the updates from the web.

I was vaguely surprised that noone mentioned the following:

yum-utils contains a script called reposync which is more or less
intended to do this for you.

/usr/bin/reposync -e /var/www/html/repos/updates -r updates -n

Works For Me(tm) :)
reposync --help for details.

although of course this entails downloading *everything* in the updates
repo. Keeping a cache of updates you actually want is a better idea, IMHO.

regards,

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.