Re: How do I make use of SSH_ASKPASS?

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:16:27 +0000
Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can't find out to make use of this.
>
> It is set to /usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass, but I still get
> prompted for a password when I use ssh.
>
> I thought the prompt was only supposed to occur when I login to GNOME.

SSH_ASKPASS is merely the name of the program that the ssh tools
will invoke in order to prompt you for a password (and they may
not use it if there is a tty they can ask on instead - I forget
what the default it).

If you are looking for the tool that will remember your passwords
and not prompt you a second time, you are looking for ssh-agent,
but it is important to know that the agent only remembers public
keys, not passwords, so if you don't have public key authorization
setup, you are still gonna get a password prompt.

You can load public keys into ssh-agent using ssh-add, so I have
things setup with a few shell scripts that use ssh-add -l to find out
if the key is loaded, and if it isn't loaded, uses ssh-add and
the askpass program to get it loaded, then invokes ssh.

That way I only get prompted once per session.