Re: Maintaining a local yum repository

Derek Tattersall wrote:
> I currently have 3 computers running Fedora 8. I think it would
> probably be a good thing to set up a local repository for yum,
> rather than downloading each package 3 times.
>
> I have looked at the howto at www.howtoforge.com, and I am not
> really happy with the method described there. It involves picking a
> particular mirror and using rsync to keep the local repository up to
> date.
>
> It seems to me that this would have some problems. For one thing it
> puts a bigger load on whichever mirror I am rsync'ing to.

Perhaps a little bit.  But rsync is very efficient and the mirrors
that offer rsync have fat enough pipes to handle the load, else they
shouldn't offer rsync as an option. :)

> For another thing, It seems to that there might be some security
> issues with just grabbing the packages without checking the key as
> yum does.

This is not a problem, as yum on each box will check the gpg signature
before installing any packages.  All the mirrors that you would
normally use are using a mirroring tool like rsync to get the content
from the master download server anyway.  Many of them don't run Fedora
at all, I'm sure.  So they'd have no way of calling yum or rpm to
check the package signatures.

> Is there a better way to keep a local repository up to date?

Personally, I like keeping a full mirror of the release and updates
trees for the distros I have in service.  I use rsync to keep them up
to date.

> Ideally, I would like to find a way to just download the packages
> that my local users ask for, not the whole thing. And I would prefer
> to use the mirror list at fedora rather than just use one particular
> server.

If you have a Fedora Account, you can create a private mirror.  This
would be returned to your clients when they hit the fedora mirror list
and asked for a list of mirrors.  I've not used this before, but it
seems like it would be handy.

Another tool to look into is InstantMirror:

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/InstantMirror/wiki

I've not use this either, but AIUI it is intended to automatically
populate a cache of packages that your local users request, so that
you only have to download a package once.

Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment.