Re: going from x86 to x64

Scott van Looy writes:

I have an old server that I've retired, but I need, so I've bought a dual opteron server to replace it. I can take the old drive out and put it in the new server, but is there an easy way I can migrate from x86 to x64 using yum or something? Changing the arch and then downloading a new kernel? Can anyone see any issues with this other than having to carefully clean up the mess of x86 libraries after?

Although this is technically possible, if you have to ask this question, it's probably better for you to just bite the bullet, back up any important files, and reinstall fresh.

At the very least you need to first upgrade the x86 Fedora install to the same Fedora release, first. Then, force install the x86_64 kernel, glibc, and rpm. Cross your fingers, reboot, then if everything goes all right, methodically go through every x86 package on the system, and replace it with the x86_64 one.

No, this is not one of those "push a few buttons, type a magical yum command, and everything will be done correctly" kind of a deal.