[F8] Sound and automounting in runlevel 3

IIRC, this has already been discussed here, but somehow I failed to find the
right threads in the archives. :-(

So, on a new freshly installed&updated F8 system working in runlevel 3, two
problems struck me.

1) Sound does not work: alsamixer, aplay, mplayer, xmms, kmix, whatever...,
say that they don't have permissions (I am not at the machine atm, sorry for
missing exact error report). If i start KDE/Gnome, everything just works like
magic. I did try naively to fiddle with perms of /dev/dsp, but that doesn't
work.

2) Automounting doesn't work: if I put a cd in the drive, flash mem in usb
port, or similar, a mount point is not created in /media and the media is not
mounted. Again, if I work inside KDE/Gnome, this does work.

I know that KDE and Gnome have their own facilities for this, but I need it
working in rl3. What am I supposed to configure, and what is the Right Way to
configure it?

Thanks!

Best, :-)
Marko